Delft3D Flexible Mesh – Environmental modellingAanmelden voor deze cursus
Environmental modelling is based on the transport of substances using the so-called advection-diffusion equation. The water quality module D-Water Quality of the Delft3D Flexible Mesh Suite (Delft3D FM) is based on this equation and it offers different computational methods to solve it numerically on an arbitrary irregularly shaped grid, on a grid of rectangles, triangles or curvilinear computational elements. The sediment transport module of D-Water Quality can be applied to model the transport of suspended (cohesive) sediment, for instance to study the spreading of dredged materials, to study sedimentation/erosion patterns and to carry out water quality and ecology studies where suspended sediment is an important factor because of turbidity or as a carrier of pollutants. It is in fact a sub-module of the water quality module. The ecology transport module D-Water Quality distributes the available resources (nutrients and light) in an optimal way among the different types of algae. It is in fact a sub-module of the water quality module.
Some areas of applications:
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), objective evaluation of alternatives;
- Sewage and/or storm water outfall studies;
- Bio-availability of heavy metals (and organic micropollutants);
- Recirculation of cooling water from power and desalination plants including the release of bio-fouling chemicals such as chlorine;
- Effects of dredging on the environment;
- Simulation of oil spills with floating and dispersed oil fractions.
Objective of the course
Setting up and running a water quality, an ecological, particle tracking as well as an oil disposal simulation.
- Some basic theoretical concepts of environmental modelling;
- Some numerical aspect to transport modelling;
- Coupling hydrodynamic output to the environmental model input;
- Selecting substances and processes with the Processes Library Configuration Tool;
- Setting up and running a sediment, oxygen, nutrients and algae simulation;
- Setting up and running a tracer simulation.
This course is aimed at
- Knowledge how to model the hydrodynamics;
- Project engineers, project leaders and researchers.
The registration fee for this three-day course, from 9:00 to 17:00 hrs, is € 1.450, – excluding VAT.
50% discount for lecturers at centers of education. For more information, click here.
To register for this course please use the registration button at the top of the website. This will bring you to the webshop, but once there, you can also choose to pay by bank transfer.