Delft-FEWS Basic Configuration Course (blended educational experience)
Delft-FEWS is a software package developed by Deltares to provide an easy and modular way of setting up operational forecasting systems. Due to the modular approach Delft-FEWS allows you to plug in a wide range of data sources, models and data types. This can all be configured in the Delft-FEWS configuration files.
Delft-FEWS was originally intended for hydrologists and used for Flood Early Warning. Currently Delft-FEWS is used in over 40 countries over the whole world and has expanded its areas of applicability towards droughts, hydropower, coastal systems, data conversion, shipping, dredging and long term scenario studies.
Aim of the course
After taking this course the participants have a good understanding of the structure of the Delft-FEWS configuration. They are able to configure basic functionality in Delft-FEWS and know how to improve their skills and where to look for documentation on more advanced functionality of Delft-FEWS.
In this course the participants learn:
- How to start the Delft-FEWS software
- Where to adjust the lay-out and system settings
- How to import measured data from Canadian sources
- How to numerical weather prediction products
- How to visualize gridded and scalar data
- How to configure Delft-FEWS for your area of interest.
This course is a blended educational experience, meaning that both self-paced modules and instructor led sessions are held. During 3 consecutive interactive sessions, you’ll progress from the basics of using the Delft-FEWS application to configuring the system for your own use.
Course participants will be provided with a functioning Delft-FEWS application as a starting point, and access to the online course materials for 1 year.
In preparation of the training, we’ll send you all the material and will ask you to install the stand alone Delft-FEWS application on your own machine. While attending the training, it will be essential that you have a sufficiently fast internet connection to support a video call, as well as a headset.
Online Course dates
- Session 1: Monday, 7 June, 14:00 – 17:00 CEST (Delft time)
- Session 2: Tuesday, 8 June, 14:00 – 17:00 CEST (Delft time)
- Session 3: Wednesday, 9 June, 14:00 – 17:00 CEST (Delft time)
- Session 4: Thursday, 10 June, 14:00 – 17:00 CEST (Delft time)
There are no prerequisites for this course. Of course a background in or familiarity with any of the following will be beneficial, however, not necessary:
- Xml-files and editor
- CSV-files and editor
- Delft-FEWS or other operational forecasting software
- Hydrology, Hydraulics, meteorology
The registration fee for this course is € 565, – excluding VAT.
50% discount for lecturers at centers of education.
More information about Delft-FEWS
For any questions you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This course is part of the Delft Software Days (DSD-INT).