Delft-FEWS – Water Quality Configuration Course (DSD-INT 2021)
Delft-FEWS is a software package developed by Deltares to provide an easy and modular way of setting up operational forecasting systems. Due to the modular approach Delft-FEWS allows you to plug in a wide range of data sources, models and data types. This can all be configured in the Delft-FEWS configuration files.
Delft-FEWS was originally intended for hydrologists and used for Flood Early Warning. Currently Delft-FEWS is used in over 40 countries over the whole world and has expanded its areas of applicability towards droughts, hydropower, coastal systems, water quality, data conversion, shipping, dredging and long term scenario studies.
Aim of the course
After taking this course the participants have a good understanding of the structure of the Delft-FEWS configuration. They are able to implement their own water quality data feeds into Delft-FEWS and get to know additional functionality on how to expand this system in the future.
In this course the participants learn:
- How to import samples with water quality and hydro-biological data into Delft-FEWS
- How to query samples in the database and use the sample viewer
- How to process sample data in transformations or external scripting (e.g. combine water quality with flow data)
- How to disseminate the data (via the Pi-webservice).
There are no mandatory prerequisites for this course. However, it is highly recommended to take the Delft-FEWS Basic configuration course beforehand. Furthermore a background in or familiarity with any of the following will be beneficial, however, not essential:
- Xml-files and editor
- CSV-files and editor
- Delft-FEWS or other water information system software
- Water quality, Ecology, Hydrology, Monitoring data.
This course will be held via MS Teams for which you will receive a course-link. There will be 2 consecutive interactive sessions:
- The first session will demonstrate the use of Delft-FEWS for water quality related applications and provide you with a number of exercises.
- The second session will be a ‘come-back’ session in which the course participants can pose any questions related to the exercises presented in the first session. This gives the participants the possibility to finish any unfinished exercises at home, prior to this second session. As a wrap-up it will also demo an easy setup of a coupled hydrological/water quality model.
In preparation of the training, we’ll send you all the material and will ask you to install the stand alone Delft-FEWS application on your own machine. While attending the training, it will be essential that you have a sufficiently fast internet connection to support a video call, as well as a headset.
Online Course dates
- Session 1: Monday, 3 November 2021, 09:00 – 13.00 CET (Delft time, UTC+1)
- Session 2: Thursday, 10 November 2021, 09:00 – 13.00 CET (Delft time)
The registration fee for this course is € 565, – excluding VAT.
50% discount for lecturers at centers of education.
This course is part of the Delft Software Days – Edition 2021 (DSD-INT 2021). You can register for this course via the Delft Software Days website.