Delft3D Basic courses at Hohai University, China
Delft3D Flexible Mesh – Coastal Hydrodynamic Modelling
Through a combination of lectures and hands-on exercises, our Delft3D Flexible Mesh – Coastal Hydrodynamic Modelling course introduces grid generation for flexible grids, unique bathymetry interpolation methods, quickly setting up and running two-dimensional (2D) coastal – estuarine models and analysing results using the Delft3D FM build-in post-processing tools and third-party tools.
Course subjects “Coastal Hydrodynamic Modelling”
- Introduction into grid generation for flexible grids;
- Introduction on bathymetry interpolation;
- Set-up of hydrodynamic model and running this model;
- Introduction on postprocessing.
Delft3D Flexible Mesh – Environmental modelling
Pressure on ecosystems and the environment is increasing as the population and the economy grow. At the same time, governments are becoming more ambitious in terms of improving water quality. Deltares has developed knowledge about the quality of water systems, and shares this knowledge via the new Delft3D Flexible Mesh Suite 2018 and the course “Delft3D Flexible Mesh – Environmental modelling“.
Course subjects “Environmental modelling”
- Some basic theoretical concepts of environmental modelling;
- Some numerical aspect to transport modelling;
- Coupling hydrodynamic output to the environmental model input;
- Selecting substances and processes with the Processes Library Configuration Tool;
- Setting up and running a sediment, oxygen, nutrients and algae simulation;
- Setting up and running a tracer simulation.
Delft3D Flexible Mesh – Modelling sediment transport and bed dynamics
To simulate the evolution of random, short-crested wind generated waves in coastal waters (which may include estuaries, tidal inlets, barrier islands with tidal flats, channels etc.) the wave module D-Waves of the Delft3D FM Suite can be used. This wave module computes wave propagation, wave generation by wind, non-linear wave-wave interactions and dissipation, for a given bottom topography, wind field, water level and current field in waters of deep, intermediate and finite depth.
The sediment transport module of the Delft3D FM Suite integrates the effects of waves, currents, sediment transport on morphological development, related to sediment sizes ranging from silt to gravel. It is designed to simulate the morphodynamic behavior of rivers, estuaries and coasts on time-scales of days to years. The typical problems to be studied using the morphological module involve complex interactions between waves, currents, sediment transport and bathymetry. To allow such interactions, the individual modules within Delft3D all interact through a well-defined common interface.
Course subjects “Modelling sediment transport and bed dynamics”
- Introduction on wave prediction in coastal areas and wave models;
- SWAN wave engine as used in D-Waves;
- Introduction on steering the different processes;
- Setting up and running wave simulation;
- Setting up and running wave-current interaction simulation;
- Setting up and running morphology simulation;
- Setting up and running wave-current-morphology simulation for coastal areas or rivers.
For information about registration, costs of participating, logistics etc. see the leaflet (Chinese language).
If you have questions or are interested in joining the course,
please contact Ms. Xie Yongyu and Prof. Wang Wen at Hoihai University:
Phone: +86 (0)25-83787154