Online RTC-Tools Training (DSD-INT)
- Resolves conflicting objectives, such as the management of a reservoir system towards flood protection, water supply and hydropower production.
- Finds the optimal operational scheme for the water system under given hydrological conditions.
- Can incorporate ensemble forecasts in order to deal with uncertainty and generate robust solutions. Model runs can be carried out for each ensemble member individually, but RTC-Tools can also find an optimal operational scheme for the whole ensemble.
- Supports system analysis for strategic planning of catchment-wide water usage and water allocation, e. g. for climate change studies.
- Can be used for optimalization simuations.
- Integrades seamlessly into Delft-FEWS
About the training
The training is split into two parts. In an introductory lecture, participants will learn the basics about applying optimization techniques for water systems: the mathematical background, the added value of optimization for water system management and different methods for conflict resolution and about methods to handle non-linear equations within the optimization.
Within the interactive sessions, the participants learn with the help of a simple example case of a single reservoir system
- How to make a model schematization of the water system.
- How to set up an optimization problem by specifying operational goals and physical constraints.
- How to work with input data and output data and the analysis of model results.
- How to operate the system with simple feedback control.
The (1-day equivalent) course will be provided online, making use of both pre-recorded videos as well as multiple online interactive sessions (2 x 3 hours on consecutive days). The videos will cover all the relevant presentations in 10-15 minute focused sections. We’ll ask you to watch a play list of these videos in preparation of each interactive session. The interactive sessions will start with a Q&A of the materials from the videos and continue with exercises with an example model.
In preparation of the training, we’ll send you all the material and will ask you to install the RTC-Tools on your own machine. While attending the training, it will be essential that you have a sufficiently fast internet connection to support a video call, as well as a headset.
This course is part of the Delft Software Days 2021.