XBeach – Basic Course – Morphodynamic Modelling during Storm Conditions
On the first XBeach course, programme attendees will gain basic theoretical understanding on XBeach capabilities and functionalities. Moreover, attendees will learn how to apply the software for research or consultancy studies to simulate morphodynamics during storm conditions with XBeach-surfbeat.
When utilizing XBeach for modelling, attendees will be able to retrieve theoretical and practical knowledge gained in this course.
- Theoretical: attendees understand
- the differences between the three hydrodynamic modes of XBeach: stationary, surfbeat and non-hydrostatic;
- the background of the surfbeat mode and main (other) hydro- and morphodynamic formulations needed to simulate dune erosion and overwash;
- the possibilities of more advanced applications (e.g. coral reefs, gravel & vegetated coasts, port hydrodynamics and ships waves).
- Practical: attendees will know
- what the input and output of XBeach looks like and how this can be used to answer practical questions in research / consultancy;
- how to create an XBeach-surfbeat model from scratch to simulate nearshore hydro- and morphodynamics during storm conditions.
Who should participate
This course is aimed at project engineers, researchers, PhD students with a basic background in programming (e.g. Matlab / Python / Fortran) and modelling.
The registration fee for this course is € 565, – excluding VAT.
50% discount for lecturers at centers of education.
More information on XBeach
This course is part of The Delft Software Days – Edition 2020 (DSD-INT).