XBeach – Basic Course – Morphodynamic Modelling during Storm Conditions (DSD-INT 2022)
During the XBeach course, programme attendees will gain a basic theoretical understanding of XBeach capabilities and functionalities. Additionally, attendees will learn how to apply the software for research or consultancy studies to simulate morphodynamics during storm conditions with XBeach-surfbeat.
When utilizing XBeach for modelling, attendees will be able to retrieve theoretical and practical knowledge gained in this course.
- Theoretical: attendees understand
- the differences between the three hydrodynamic modes of XBeach: stationary, surfbeat and non-hydrostatic;
- the background of the surfbeat mode and main (other) hydro- and morphodynamic formulations needed to simulate dune erosion and overwash;
- the possibilities of more advanced applications (e.g. coral reefs, gravel & vegetated coasts, port hydrodynamics and ships waves).
- Practical: attendees will know
- what the input and output of XBeach looks like and how this can be used to answer practical questions in research / consultancy;
- how to create an XBeach-surfbeat model from scratch to simulate nearshore hydro- and morphodynamics during storm conditions.
Who should participate
This course is aimed at project engineers, researchers, PhD students with a basic background in programming (e.g. Matlab / Python / Fortran) and modelling. During the course we will use Matlab to setup a XBeach model from scratch, we recommend you to have Matlab installed.
Online course dates
Session 1: Tuesday, 20 September 2022, 15:00 – 18:00 CEST (Delft time)
Session 2: Wednesday, 21 September 2022, 15:00 – 18:00 CEST
Session 3: Thursday, 22 September 2022, 15:00 – 17:00 CEST
The registration fee for this course is € 599, – excluding VAT.
50% discount for lecturers at centers of education.
More information on XBeach
This course is closed for registration.
This course is part of the Delft Software Days – Edition 2022 (DSD-INT).