Head of department Data Science and Water Quality
The unit MCS consists of about 140 employees spread over 5 departments. The unit operates in a challenging and dynamic social environment, with the main focus on the responsible use and protection of the marine system and the coastal zone. These challenges are even more complex when we also consider climate change and the increasing pressures from population growth and economic activity. Our challenge is to develop knowledge and expertise in order to propose effective solutions, in collaboration with our stakeholders and partners, who are vital to the final acceptance of the solutions. Our projects are distinguished through the use of both technical and social innovations. The use of innovative tools and models is crucial.
The Data Science and Water Quality department within the unit MCS works on modelling water quality in marine and coastal areas to quantify effects of human activities on the abiotic and biotic environment. We make use of coupled physical- biogeochemical-ecological models, as well as remote-sensing techniques This allows us to analyse the transport and fate of nutrients and/or toxic compounds, in order to assess effects of large-scale infrastructural developments, and to enhance aquaculture practices. Data science techniques are developed and applied to optimise data and information flows and to provide state-of-the-art knowledge and decision-support to our clients.
What can you expect as department head Data Science and Water Quality?
- As department head you are part of the management team of the Marine and Coastal Systems unit and contribute to its strategy development and implementation, in line with the Deltares mission.
- You manage about 25 highly educated professionals and you motivate and stimulate them in their personal development.
- Integral management of finance, market development, project execution, research and innovation for the department are your responsibilities.
- You take the lead in developing and implementing the knowledge and market ambitions.
- You realize the ambitions of the department by further expanding and renewing the (inter)national knowledge and market position and the development of internal and external networks.
- As department head you form the bridgehead to other departments and units to stimulate cooperation in other fields.
- You create an informal, dynamic and inspiring work environment.
- You are furthermore responsible for the co-shaping and executing of Deltares-wide strategic and operational developments.
What does Deltares expect from you as head of department Data Science and Water Quality?
- You have an academic education and affinity with the discipline of the department.
- You are a good (national and international) networker and able to connect both content and people.
- You have experience of working with market parties and other knowledge institutes, both nationally and internationally.
- You preferably have experience in applied research and consultancy projects in The Netherlands as well as in international projects.
- You have affinity with the application of software, models and experiments in the work domain of the department.
- You preferably have experience in managing and coaching professionals.
- You can act as a playing-coach, to play along and give instructions in your department, the MCS staff, but also within and outside of Deltares.
- Your communication skills (in Dutch and English) are highly developed.
- You have an entrepreneurial spirit and know how to be visible as the head of department.
- You are eager to develop your own competences and reflect upon your performance.
The appointment period for this position is 4 years with the prospect of reappointment.
Working at Deltares
We offer an informal, dynamic and challenging working environment. Your personal development and building on your resume are important to us. Therefore, we offer excellent training opportunities and future perspective.
Our terms of employment are competitive with a good pension scheme and 34 days of leave. We have special facilities on our campus, like daily lunch lectures, the Delta Flume and our iD-lab (Interactive data research laboratory) and the Geochemical and Microbiological laboratory in Utrecht.
Deltares is an independent institute for applied research in the field of water, subsurface and infrastructure. Worldwide we work on smart solutions, innovations and applications for people, environment and society. To achieve our goals, we develop our own expertise, innovative software and services. We have special facilities on our campus in Delft, like the Delta Flume and our iD-lab (Interactive data research laboratory) and the Geochemical and Microbiological laboratory in Utrecht.
Deltares supports governments, industries, water boards, and municipalities in their ambitions to reduce water and energy consumption and to develop and implement sustainable energy technologies. Deltares places high demands on the quality of its knowledge and advice. Enabling Delta life is our core business.
Has this vacancy piqued your interest and do your qualities match the job profile? Apply directly by uploading your CV and motivation letter, before 22 March 2020. Only applications via our website will be considered. For more information, please contact Toon Segeren, Unit manager Marine and Coastal Systems; (0031)88-3358147, firstname.lastname@example.org or Brian de Bruin, via (0031)88 335 8438 of email@example.com.
Does this position not suit you, but do you know someone who fits the profile perfectly? We would of course appreciate it when you forward this vacancy.
Acquisition for this vacancy is not appreciated.