Do you have a passion for applied research and are you looking for a challenging job that crosses international borders? Are you a hydrogeologist with specific expertise in groundwater modelling and are you eager to learn even more?
The Subsurface and Groundwater Systems Unit (BGS) at Deltares is looking for a Hydrogeologist.
We conduct applied research and provide specialist consultancy services on matters relating to groundwater and the subsurface for government authorities and the corporate sector in both national and international settings. The essence of our work is the development, application and sharing of knowledge in partnership with universities, other research institutions, governmental agencies and businesses alike. The SGS Unit has over 100 employees divided into four departments: Applied Geology and Geophysics, Urban Water and Subsurface, Groundwater Management and Subsurface and Groundwater Quality.
The Groundwater Management Department carries out applied research regarding strategic groundwater resources, groundwater availability, climate change impacts, sea level rise, droughts, the impact of land use and large extractions (e.g. drinking water) on the groundwater system, the presence of fresh-salt gradients in groundwater in coastal zones and deltas, and the role of groundwater in the water-energy-food nexus. We often use modelling tools to conduct studies. To this end, we have developed the iMOD groundwater modelling system, and continue to improve it together with partners and clients.
What can you expect as a Hydrogeologist?
As an all-round Hydrogeologist, you initiate projects related to groundwater and give direction to innovations and new developments in the field. You do this in close collaboration with advisors and researchers, both inside and outside Deltares. You work on national and international consultancy and knowledge projects, in which quantitative groundwater system analysis plays a central role. You connect your innovative knowledge to customer challenges and do this by writing proposals for applied research. To ensure that your projects run smoothly, efficient project management in a relatively independent setting is a must. Numerical modelling, using new (and often coupled) codes/procedures in a high-end computer environment using new techniques is what means that every day presents an exciting new challenge.
Your main activities are:
- Working on applied research projects in the field of applied quantitative hydrogeology in an international setting, with a focus on innovative techniques;
- Your work will include data acquisition, -processing, –interpretation and reporting;
- You will assist senior staff in the preparation of proposals for new applied research and specialized consultancy projects;
- You will publish and present research results at international conferences and workshops on a yearly basis;
- Numeric modelling of groundwater, including variable-density flow;
What do we expect from you as a Hydrogeologist?
- You have a university degree (at least MSc or a PhD) in hydrogeology, geology, physical geography, or similar;
- You are a driven and motivated Hydrogeologist, focused on the development and application of complex numerical groundwater models, who knows how to translate end user wishes into a model set of tools, applied to the questions of the end users;
- You have at least 3 years’ work experience
- You work dynamically in an ambitious team, focusing on sharing knowledge, ideas and energy to acquire the optimal (quality- and time-wise) final product for a critical client;
- You have demonstrable experience with modelling groundwater systems;
- You have experience in programming model codes;
- You are fluent in the English language. Speaking Spanish and/or other languages is preferred;
- Experience concerning fresh and salt groundwater projects is preferred;
- You take initiative and have excellent communication and writing skills.
Working at Deltares
We offer an informal, dynamic and challenging working environment. Your personal development and the building of your resume is important to us. Therefore, we offer excellent training opportunities and future perspectives. Our terms of employment are competitive with a good pension scheme and 34 days of annual leave.
Deltares is an independent institute for applied research in the fields of water, the subsurface and infrastructure. Worldwide, we work on smart solutions, innovations and applications for people, the environment and society. To achieve our goals, we develop our own expertise, innovative software and services.
Deltares supports the public and private sector with state-of-the-art knowledge for sustainable management of water and subsurface resources and reduce current and future water related risks. Deltares places high demands on the quality of its knowledge and advice. Enabling Delta life is our core business.
Has this vacancy piqued your interest and do your qualities match the job profile? Apply directly by uploading your CV and motivation letter before 1 October. Only applications via our website will be considered.
For more information on the above vacancy you may contact Otto de Keizer (Head of Department Groundwater Management) email@example.com; +31883357657) or Debbie Duimel (HR recruitment officer; firstname.lastname@example.org; +31883358330).
Apply for vacancy