Junior Sediment Modeller
Are you a junior sediment modeller? Are you a system thinker and have theoretical knowledge on estuarine/coastal hydrodynamics and cohesive sediment transport? We are looking for a proactive and collaborative colleague to join our team.
The unit Marine and Coastal Systems contributes to innovative management and sustainable development of marine and coastal zones. Extensive and in-depth knowledge of coastal processes, numerical modelling tools and a sound system understanding constitute the state-of-the-art basis for multidisciplinary research and specialised consultancy, executed for a diversity of clients (government agencies, consultants, contractors, industry, universities, research funds). In R&D and non-standard consultancy projects we combine practical relevance with high standards for quality. The unit consists of four departments, is staffed by some 100 highly-qualified and committed professionals.
What can you expect as a junior sediment modeller?
You will be a part of the department Ecosystems and Sediment Dynamics, to supplement our team of 29 experts. We undertake a wide range of applied research and innovative consultancy projects in marine and estuarine environments related to sediment balance issues such as coastal resilience and restoration, port activities, eco-engineering and estuarine management. Our projects are challenging and interdisciplinary. Numerical models are often used to support our analyses by integrating knowledge of physical processes with good modelling practice to provide reliable information to stakeholders. You need to have a pro-active approach towards the market and appreciate a challenge. Key is the understanding of (fine) sediment transport processes and the ability to connect this with other disciplines such as ecology, biogeomorphology and/or chemistry. You are also an excellent team player and can work independently.
Your main activities are to:
- Use numerical models (e.g. based on Delft3D) to calculate sediment transport patterns (particularly muddy sediments) in coastal and estuarine waters);
- Data processing, visualisation and interpretation;
- Assist in writing reports and preparing presentations for clients;
- Assist in preparation of project proposals;
- Actively increase the network and cooperation of the department with other groups inside and outside of Deltares.
What does Deltares expect from you as a junior sediment modeller?
- University degree (at least MSc) in Civil Engineering, Physical Geography, Numerical Fluid Dynamics, Oceanography, Coastal Engineering or another closely related field of study, with proven experience in numerical modelling;
- You have a basic understanding of other fields of knowledge that relate to system functioning and are a quick learner;
- Affinity with lab and/or field work is appreciated;
- You can perform under time pressure;
- You communicate in an open and constructive way;
- Fluent in English language.
Working at Deltares
We offer an informal, dynamic and challenging working environment. Your personal development and building on your resume is important to us. Therefore we offer excellent training opportunities and future perspective.
The maximum salary for your position is €4.698,81 per month based on 40 hours per week, excluding holiday allowance. Classification takes place based on years of experience. Our terms of employment are competitive with a good pension scheme and 34 days of leave. We have special facilities on our campus, like daily lunch lectures, the Delta Flume and our iD-lab (Interactive Data research laboratory) and the Geochemical and Microbiological laboratory in Utrecht.
Deltares is an independent institute for applied research in the field of water, subsurface and infrastructure. Worldwide we work on smart solutions, innovations and applications for people, environment and society. To achieve our goals, we develop our own expertise, innovative software and services.
Deltares supports governments, industries, water boards, and municipalities in their ambitions to reduce water and energy consumption and developing and implementing sustainable energy technologies. Deltares places high demands on the quality of its knowledge and advice. Enabling Delta life is our core business.
Are you interested in this job and do you fit the job qualifications? Then apply directly by uploading your CV and cover letter, before 31 August 2019.
If you have any questions about the vacancy you can contact Melissa Ruts, HR Recruitment Officer, via+ 31 (0)88 335 8438 or Katherine Cronin, Senior Advisor/Researcher, via 31 (0) 883358027.
Acquisition regarding this vacancy is not appreciated.Apply for vacancy