(Junior) Software Engineer
Have you recently obtained your Masters or Higher Education diploma in Software Engineering or a similar study? Or are you about to graduate? Are you looking for a job where the available software engineering knowledge is used to make the world more sustainable and more liveable? Are you ready for the challenge of preventing flooding, by working on smart software solutions for issues in delta areas? Read on, because for our unit Deltares Software Centre (DSC) we are looking for a:
(Junior) Software Engineer
The Deltares Software Centre (DSC) unit develops, among other things, numerical simulation software, using various techniques such as flexible meshes, high performance computing, modelling frameworks and game engines. DSC’s Software Product Development department focuses on the development of high-quality software products. Recent examples are the development of the Legal Assessment Tools for the national flood defense systems and the D-Hydro software suite. This package is specifically aimed at modelling coastal areas, estuaries, rivers and rural & urban areas.
Our teams work with modern development techniques, such as Agile, TDD and XP. The user interfaces are written in C#, the underlying computational kernels in Fortran and the early warning systems in Java. We also use Python and C++. The specialists from the various Deltares disciplines are closely involved in the specification and validation of new software.
What can you expect as a (Junior) Software Engineer?
- You develop user-friendly scientific software for water and subsurface research;
- You work together with scientific software engineers and specialists in software products in a scrum team;
- You analyze the software requirements together with product owners and specialists;
- You accelerate and renew existing simulation models, using the latest IT techniques;
- You explore the possibilities of data science and new technologies, such as cloud computing, for applications in delta technology;
- Your location is Delft.
What do we expect from you as a (Junior) Software Engineer?
- You have an MSc or Higher Education diploma in Computer Science (or a similar course);
- You have affinity with natural sciences and you have experience with software development;
- You have the ambition to develop high-quality software in a scientific environment;
- You are result-oriented and are happy to commit together with a team to the set deadline;
- You have experience with C# and perhaps other programming languages (Java, Python, C++);
- Knowledge of topics such as software architecture, Continuous Integration, Unit Testing, UML and concepts such as Object Oriented programming (OO) and Design Patterns are a plus;
- You enjoy working on technical challenges;
- You have experience in developing innovative software solutions for complex problems;
- You have good social and communication skills;
- You can work independently, but you are also a team player;
- You are eager to develop yourself and reflect upon your performance;
- You have an excellent knowledge of the English language.
Working at Deltares
Deltares is an independent knowledge institute in the field of water, subsurface and infrastructure. Deltares works on smart innovations, solutions and applications for people, the environment and society, both in our home country and internationally. In doing so, we aim to develop knowledge, innovative products, services and software and to connect our knowledge to that of others and make these available to others.
Our software is used worldwide to advise governments and the business community on the physical condition and possible control measures of deltas, coastal and river areas. For example, we develop early warning systems and simulation software for managing floods. Deltares sets a high standard for the quality of its knowledge and advice. Our core business is Enabling Delta Life.
We offer an informal, dynamic and challenging work environment. Your personal development and building on your CV is important to us. We offer excellent training opportunities. Future growth is possible, for example in the project team as scrum master, architect or project manager, but also in the field of research or science.
We offer special facilities on our campus, such as daily lunchtime lectures, the Delta Flume (where high waves can be generated) and our iD-lab (an interactive data research laboratory). Our terms and conditions of employment are in line with the market, with a good pension scheme and 34 vacation days.
Has this vacancy aroused your interest and do your qualities match the job profile? Apply directly by uploading your CV and motivation letter, before 31 January 2020. Only applications via our website will be considered.
For more information, please contact Sabine van den Boogerd (HR adviseur; email@example.com; +31883358518 ) or Hans van Putten (Head of Department, Software Product Development; Hans.vanPutten@deltares.nl; +31883357948).
If this job description does not suit you, but you know someone who fits perfectly in the outlined profile, please feel free to forward this vacancy.
Acquisition as a result of this vacancy is not appreciated.Apply for vacancy