We Are Looking For a Software Engineer
Would you like to use your software engineering knowledge to make the world more sustainable and more livable? Are you ready for the challenge of preventing flooding and/or drought, by working on smart software solutions for issues in delta areas? Please read on, because for our unit Deltares Software Centre (DSC) we are looking for a Software Engineer C++/ C#.
The Deltares Software Centre (DSC) unit develops, among other things, numerical simulation software, using various techniques such as flexible meshes, high performance computing, modelling frameworks and game engines. DSC’s Software Product Development department focuses on the development of high-quality software products. This department is starting a new project and that is where you come in. You will be working with a professional team. We work with modern development techniques, such as Agile and XP. Our user interfaces are written in C#, the underlying computational kernels in Fortran and the early warning systems in Java. We also use Python and C++. We have a criteria that you have knowledge of C# and C++.
What can you expect as a Software Engineer?
- You develop user-friendly scientific software for subsurface and groundwater research;
- You work together with scientific software engineers and (numerical mathematical) specialists in software products in a scrum team;
- You analyze the software requirements together with product owners and specialists;
- You accelerate and renew existing simulation models, using the latest IT techniques;
- You explore the possibilities of data science and new technologies, such as cloud computing, for applications in delta technology
For this position you will be working partly inUtrecht and partly in Delft.
What do we expect from you as a Software Engineer?
- You have an MSc or Higher Education diploma in Computer Science (or a similar course);
- You have affinity with natural sciences and you have at least 3 -5 years experience with software development;
- You have the ambition to develop high-quality software in a scientific environment;
- You are result-oriented and are happy to commit together with a team to the set deadline;
- You have experience with C# and C++ and perhaps other programming languages (Java, Python);
- Knowledge of topics such as software architecture, Continuous Integration, Unit Testing, UML and concepts such as Object Oriented programming (OO) and Design Patterns are a plus;
- You have good social and communication skills;
- You have an excellent knowledge of the English language.
What we offer
- An informal, dynamic and challenging working environment;
- Excellent training opportunities;
- Our terms and conditions of employment are in line with the market, with a good pension scheme and 34 vacation days;
A mobility budget;
- A beautiful work location with special facilities on our campus, such as the Delta Flume and our iD lab, an interactive data research laboratory;
- Opportunities to brush up on your knowledge during one of the many lunch lectures.
Working at Deltares
Deltares is an independent knowledge institute in the field of water, subsurface and infrastructure. Deltares works on smart innovations, solutions and applications for people, the environment and society, both in our home country and internationally. In doing so, we aim to develop knowledge, innovative products, services and software and to connect our knowledge to that of others and make these available to others. Our software is used worldwide to advise governments and the business community on the physical condition and possible control measures of deltas, coastal and river areas. For example, we develop early warning systems and simulation software for managing floods. Deltares sets a high standard for the quality of its knowledge and advice. Our core business is Enabling Delta Life.
Apply directly by uploading your CV and motivation letter. Only applications via our website will be considered. For more information, please contact Brian de Bruin (HR Recruitment Officer; firstname.lastname@example.org; +318833583) or Hans van Putten (Head of Department, Software Product Development; Hans.vanPutten@deltares.nl; +31883357948).
If this job description does not suit you, but you know someone who fits perfectly in the outlined profile, please feel free to forward this vacancy.
Acquisition as a result of this vacancy is not appreciated.
Apply for vacancy