Senior Advisor Coastal Engineering and Management
Are you a professional advisor driven to connect coastal and marine challenges with technical solutions and people? And does an entrepreneurial, networking environment suits you well? Then join our team! Deltares is looking for a Senior Advisor/ Researcher Coastal Engineering and Management.
The Unit Marine and Coastal Systems aims at enabling innovative management and sustainable development of marine and coastal zones. Extensive and in-depth knowledge of coastal processes, numerical modelling tools and a sound system understanding constitute the state-of-the-art basis for multidisciplinary research and specialized consultancy, executed for a diversity of clients (government agencies, consultants, contractors, industry, universities, research funds). In R&D and non-standard consultancy projects we combine practical relevance with high standards for quality. The unit consists of four departments, is staffed by some 100 highly-qualified and committed professionals.
You will be part of this unit and more specifically of our team Information, Resilience and Planning. As part of this team, our projects are wide-ranging, interdisciplinary and may be in any country around the world. Our project portfolio ranges from:
– Development of coastal, estuarine and marine management plans;
– Assessment of the impact of: climate change and extreme events;
– Assessment of the feasibility of possible mitigation measures including nature-based solutions;
– Impact of marine litter and pollution and possible implication for human health;
– Data analysis and visualization (incl. remote sensing)
– Development of cost-benefit analyses and financial plans.
What can you expect as a Senior advisor/ researcher Coastal engineering and management?
In your role as a Senior Advisor you will be responsible for engaging with stakeholders and work with them to go beyond technical feasibility of Information, Resilience and Planning projects. You will lead complex projects and develop new initiatives based on relevant issues. With your excellent communication, analytical and implementation skills, you will initiate cooperation’s between departments and units within Deltares. Also, you are responsible for collaborations with known and new clients and other knowledge institutes.
In addition, it is a requirement to think strategically about the role of technical innovations in achieving coastal management objectives.
To lead projects, communicate with project leaders and interact on different levels are the challenges of your daily work. Therefore, you must be flexible, team oriented and able to facilitate effective work within multidisciplinary teams.
- Management of complex research and consultancy projects;
- Taking initiatives and pursuing market knowledge;
- Initiating new projects, proposal writing and contracts negotiation;
- Analysis, reporting and presentation of results;Quality assurance.
- Leading new model developments in the field of marine, coastal and estuarine management and risk assessment Analysis and development of climate and socio-economic scenarios.
What does Deltares expect from you as a Senior advisor/ researcher Coastal engineering and management?
- We are looking for an enthusiastic candidate with an appropriate postgraduate qualification (MSc or PhD), with over 10 years of experience in marine and coastal management and modelling
- Experience in project management and demonstrated affinity for working on multidisciplinary and international projects;
- You should have experience in the development and/or implementation of numerical models in multidisciplinary projects and with specific focus on the coastal environment;
- Given the multidisciplinary of the projects of this department, knowledge of the state-of-the-art tools and instruments for coastal management is a requirement, spacing for the evaluation of the physical and socio-economic system, and including climate assessment and risks;
- Relevant international networks as well as the ability to develop winning research and consultancy proposals, based on excellent writing skills and relevant networks.;
- Fluent in English and basic Dutch language knowledge;
- Be able to travel to foreign countries.
Working at Deltares
Deltares is an independent institute for applied research in the field of water, subsurface and infrastructure. Worldwide we work on smart solutions, innovations and applications for people, environment and society. To achieve our goals, we develop our own expertise, innovative software and services. Deltares supports governments, industries, water boards, and municipalities in their ambitions to reduce water and energy consumption and developing and implementing sustainable energy technologies. Deltares places high demands on the quality of its knowledge and advice. Enabling Delta life is our core business.
We offer an informal, dynamic and challenging working environment. Your personal development and building on your resume is important to us. Therefore we offer excellent training opportunities and future perspective.
Our terms of employment are competitive with a good pension scheme and 34 days of leave. We have special facilities on our campus, like daily lunch lectures, the Delta Flume and our iD-lab (Interactive data research laboratory) and the Geochemical and Microbiological laboratory in Utrecht.
Are you interested in this job and do you fit the job qualifications? Apply directly by uploading your CV and motivation letter, before 15 September 2019. Only applications via our website will be considered.
If you have any questions about the vacancy you can contact Bianca Peters, Head of department Information, Resilience and Planning Marine and Coastal Systems, via +31883357964 or Bianca.Peters@deltares.nl, Debbie Duimel, HR Recruitment Officer, via+ 31 (0)88 335 8330 or Sollicitatie@deltares.nl.
Apply for vacancy