Infrastructure for water and energy
Water, gas and electricity supplies have to be reliable, so stable and robust pipes, cables and systems are needed. Cracks or leaks, for example, have to be prevented: we want to dispose of excess rainwater and sewerage efficiently through sewers and pipelines.
Optimising process and design
An understanding of every phase in the life cycle of these vital infrastructures is extremely important with a view to managing the costs of design, operation, management, maintenance and, ultimately, decommissioning. Safeness and robustness also need to be guaranteed. We help companies to optimise their geotechnical and hydraulic designs and processes for water, waste water and gas mains in terms of construction and operating costs. We use specialist software, scale models and field trials in our work for government authorities, identifying new solutions for reducing energy consumption, and mitigating operational risks and environmental impacts. Our support varies from specialist desk studies and reviews to detailed computer studies and scale model testing.
Deltares supplies smart hydraulic and geotechnical solutions for
Water mains, pipelines, gas mains and sewers
- Losses and water hammer
- Multi-phase flows
- Optimal management and maintenance (asset management)
- Pumping stations
- Effects of natural phenomena such as earthquakes on pipes and mains
Cooling water systems for nuclear and conventional plants
- Pump pits
- Recirculation and plume dispersion studies, including environmental effects.
- Definition of ecologically relevant criteria and regulations for industrial discharges
- Inlet and outlet systems
- Water systems for desalination plants, the oil and gas sector, heavy industry and FPSUs
Trenchless installation approaches for pipes
- Intensive counselling for HDD drilling
- Inspection of underground infrastructure
- Risks for pipes in and near other infrastructure such as dikes, roads, or railways