The CRC Tool can be used collaboratively in a workshop setting with multiple stakeholders or as part of a desk study to quickly explore and compare adaptation options for a project area. With city planners, consultants or architects quickly defining alternative scenarios for presentation to decision-makers. Users can evaluate measures one-by-one, or create a blend of measures to evaluate the optimal selection. The CRC Tool is therefore valued for its ability to support the decision-making process and the selection of solutions for detailed feasibility studies.
The CRC Tool was born from the development of the original Adaptation Support Tool. Which was developed in close cooperation with Alterra Wageningen UR and Bosch Slabbers Landscape Architects as part of the Climate KIC project Blue Green Dream. It has now gone on to be applied in diverse cities worldwide:
- Utrecht, Netherlands – Co-creation of climate resilient alternatives for the Beurskwartier.
- London, UK – Design of sustainable urban drainage for Decoy Brook catchment.
- New Orleans, USA – A bespoke CRC Tool and training to support the city’s outreach program.
- Berlin, Germany – Co-creation of green and climate resilient alternatives for Moabit.
- Amsterdam, Netherlands – Design workshop for climate resilient stormwater management.
- Ålesund, Norway – Design workshop focusing on nature-based storm water management.
- Quayaquil, Equador – Planning blue-green solutions for a climate resilient Urdesa district.
- Antananarivo, Madagascar – Application of nature-based solutions for flood resilience.
- Indonesia – Application of nature-based solutions for flood resilience in three cities.
- Nur Sultan, Kazakhstan – Planning and training on ecosystem-based adaptation.
- Xiangtan, China – Planning and training on ecosystem-based adaptation.
Features of CRC Tool
The Climate Resilient Cities Tool is free software to support urban design and planning for climate adaptation.
- CRC Tool is freely available.
- Web-based user interface where you can create or load your own projects.
- Contains over 50 nature-based solutions and hybrid measures with preset, but user adjustable, characteristics.
- The catalogue includes summaries and pictures of best practices and links to further reading.
- Users can sketch out the areas where each measure may be applied, calculate their effects on the urban water balance, stormwater capture, costs, heat stress and other co-benefits.
- The effects are calculated using a simple urban water balance model that can be configured for local settings, such as local rainfall data, soil type, land use and heat stress maps.
- Whilst simple relationships are used to define the effect of adaptation measures on ecological, heat stress, water quality and air quality indicators.
How to obtain the CRC Tool
The CRC Tool is free to use online, to create your own project.
You can order a Service package via our Sales Service team (email@example.com).
If the CRC Tool is free, why should I get a service package? For users who have a CRC Tool configured to their own city we recommend a service package where users receive support from Deltares during Netherlands office hours.
Get in touch
If you are interested in case specific training or support in using the tool itself or on climate adaptation and nature-based solutions then get in touch: CRCTool@deltares.nl.