Water and Soil Flume
The water-soil flume can be used for large scale model tests concerning, for example:
- Cutting devices
- Suction devices
- Trenching equipment
- Hydraulic sand fill
- Destabilisation of density stratification
- Plume dispersion
- Breaching; etc.
- Beaching deposition of slurries and tailings
- Sand/mud mixture flows and segregating behaviour
- Physics of Non-Newtonian flows
- Subaerial and subaqueous deposition of tailings and slurry
Furthermore, the flume may be used for virtually any dredging research project where non-stationary conditions, fast data-acquisition and data-processing as well as realistic boundary conditions are of the essence.
Tests can be performed on several types of soil like clay, rock, silt and sand. The soil to be used can be conditioned to the specifications required, by means of a special conditioning carriage also travelling on top of the flume. A special ‘clay-factory’ in the vicinity of the flume allows the manufacturing of clays to strict specifications.
The dredging module is equipped with measuring devices to measure forces, torque, mixture-densities, speed and positions. It is also possible to install and activate measuring devices in the flume to monitor influences on the medium during testing.
Data-acquisition and -processing
A wide range of analog and digital data-acquisition instruments can be installed. Data-processing is performed on laptop’s and pc’s.
As an alternative to using the entire width of the flume, a glass wall can be installed to form a flume that enables visualisation of the physical processes. Visualisation may instantly solve problems hitherto hidden from view and thus giving a headstart in mathematical modelling.
- Length: variable up to 50.0 metres.
- Width: 9.0 metres. (5.5 m research-flume and 3.5 m settling basin.)
- Depth: 2.5 metres.
- Width of flume with glass wall installed: 0.5, 1.0 or 2.5 m.
- Carriage travelling speed adjustable from 0.02 up to 2.5 m/s.
- Carriage pulling-force max. 30 kN.
- Two adjustable mixture-pumps, 70 l/s and 250 l/s;
- Discharge or production-controlled.
- Choice of pump depends on pipe-system needed; 100 mm and 200 mm pipe-systems available.
For your specific research problems we can develop in-house:
- Data-processing software
- Add-on’s for carriage and flume
To ensure continuity and quality of research done in the water-soil flume of Deltares gives a thorough back-up concerning:
• mechanical engineering
• electronical engineering
• hardware and software development
• and audio-visual recording