The SIWI World Water Week officially kicks off today. Held annually since 1991, the World Water Week is the leading conference on global water issues and attracts a wide range of participants from across the world. With water at the core of all sessions, participants will discuss the challenges faced through a variety of different lenses from food security and health to agriculture, technology, biodiversity, and the climate crisis. For the first time ever, the 2022 edition will take place in hybrid form, allowing even more delegates to discuss this year’s theme: Seeing the Unseen: The Value of Water. Deltares will be present throughout the week, both online and onsite in Stockholm, with our experts hosting, and contributing to, and attending different sessions.
Drought has featured heavily in the news and as a major challenge for climate experts and governments across Europe and many other parts in the world, with far-reaching impact on both nature and society. Alongside resilience, it will be a key issue for Deltares at the SIWI World Water Week. Our experts will delve into how to tackle the risks and challenges posed by drought and how to enhance mitigation and resilience, viewing these through different lenses including societal, governmental, geographical, and through the use of nature-based solutions. Sessions will focus on different topics, including:
- How participatory processes and the Water-Energy-Food (WEF) security Nexus in sub-Saharan Africa can help local communities in sub-Saharan Africa to improve their climate resilience and security situation.
- How to better advocate the potential of nature-based solutions and ensure they are ready for upscaled implementation to allow for adequate drought impact mitigation.
- How we can combat drought in a time of climate change as the frequency and severity of drought is changing, creating cross-border, cross-sectoral, and cross-institutional challenges.
- How sustainable groundwater management can be an opportunity for climate adaptation, improving ecosystem health and food security.
- How digital twins and technology can be leveraged to enhance water governance and collaboration, helping to make decisions and solve problems.
For a complete overview Deltares’ sessions at the SIWI World Water Week and for information on how you can register to join either online or in person, please see here.