WANDA can simulate transport of liquids and gasses and has dedicated functionality for heat and multi-species transport (slurry), for ship locks and real time (operational) control of pipeline networks. The software can be linked via open standards to other applications, e.g. for operator training purposes and to operational systems, e.g. for real-time control.
WANDA has been licensed world-wide to many well-known pipeline operators, design engineers, consultants and universities. WANDA can be applied in a variety of professional areas, such as: oil & gas pipeline systems, drinking water networks, fire fighting and sewage systems, waste water treatment plants, hydropower installations, thermal energy grids and cooling water systems.
WANDA has been developed by Deltares (formerly: WL | Delft Hydraulics) since the 1970’s. It is designed by engineers that use this software product in their own consultancy and research projects. It has been tested and validated extensively in our in-house testing facility.
The WANDA architecture provides scientific access to various domains such as liquid and gas transport, heat transfer, and multi-phase systems. These domains are covered by dedicated WANDA modules. For all modules the WANDA user interface is consistent and identical. Working with WANDA is easy to learn and intuitive.
WANDA – Control
The WANDA Control module provides in functionality to develop, test and optimize the control system for your pipeline system. The interaction between the control system and the physical system can be assessed and with that it is possible to optimize the...
WANDA – Liquid
Wanda Liquid enables you to make a complete design of arbitrary hydraulic systems, using a wide variety of available hydraulic components for each type of fluid, regardless the size or operational conditions of the network. Wanda Liquid includes amongst others: Accurate...
WANDA – Heat
The WANDA Heat module is designed to calculate heat transfer and monitor the temperatures in a liquid system. In the WANDA Heat module the calculations are no longer performed in terms of heads and discharges, but in terms of mass...
WANDA – Gas
With the WANDA Gas module, the transient phenomena of gas in pipeline systems can be simulated. The basis is formed by the 'conservation laws' (mass, momentum and energy) and the 'gas laws'. This allows for simulation, using pressure, temperature, velocity and density...
WANDA – Locks
The WANDA Locks module is designed to simulate salt intrusion through shipping locks. It is set up to provide an easy-to-use tool for quick assessments of salt intrusion and the effects of counter measures. With this module, a 1D hydraulic model...
WANDA – Multi-Species Transport (MST)
The Wanda Multi-Species Transport (MST) module is designed to simulate pipeline transport of separate batches of fluids. This is most common in mining and dredging industry. The fluids can have different properties and friction models. In this modules both Newtonian...
Demo / images
Please find below the projects where this software was involved.
Design and optimization heat network using WANDA
In Lansingerland, The Netherlands, energy supplier Eneco Warmte & Koude B.V. operates a heat network to provide growers with heat. Currently, this heat network receives heat from the E.ON RoCa3 plant. However, heat delivery will decline in near future due to market...
Testimonial AECOM with regard to WANDA
Mr. Bassim Al Ammari, Senior Specialist Process Control & Hydraulics at AECOM about WANDA: "I have used the WANDA for commercial studies during the last 15 years, and compared it with most other popular programs that I have also used to...
Purchasing a WANDA service package guarantees that you will be working with the latest validated numerical core, that you have access to the most recent bug fixes and that WANDA stays compliant with the latest System requirements.
Depending on your needs and on the complexity of your network, you can choose the service package that is most adequate. The price difference between consecutive packages can be derived from the difference in support and course discount provided.
Feel free to get in touch for advice on the most appropriate service package via email.
Additional notes to the Service Packages
- Service packages are distributed through 12-month subscriptions.
- The release subscription covers all minor and major releases.
- Purchasing an additional Service Package will (re)set subscription conditions.
- Technical support covers all aspects to get the software running on your platform.
- Project support covers modeling advice, and project review and assistance.
- Support will be given on within ‘reasonable’ time span, though usually within 1 working day.
- The General terms for software licensing and software services by Stichting Deltares v1.2, Dec 2014, available here, apply.
WANDA – Platinum Service Package
This service package is only applicable in combination with all License Packages. It provides in: 12 months release subscription 16 hours technical support 16 hours project support 100% discount on two 1-day course via via Deltares Academy
WANDA – Gold Service Package
This service package is only applicable in combination with all License Packages. It provides in: 12 months release subscription 16 hours technical support 8 hours project support 100% discount on one 1-day course via via Deltares Academy
WANDA – Silver Service Package
This service package is only applicable in combination with BASIC and PROFESSIONAL License Packages. It provides in: 12 months release subscription 8 hours technical support 4 hours project support 50% discount on one 1-day course via via Deltares Academy
WANDA – Bronze Service Package
This service package is only applicable in combination with BASIC License Packages. It provides in: 12 months release subscription 8 hours technical support 50% discount on one 1-day course via via Deltares Academy
Deltares offers for WANDA several license packages that comprise different domain related functionality and different rights of use. Please check the packages at the bottom of this page.
WANDA License Packages differ in terms of functionality and in the number of user licenses. A license is issued after a one-off payment of license package costs and has unlimited validity. Both stand-alone and server licenses are possible, using a hardware key (dongle) or mac address lock. Together with the purchase of a License Package you obtain a 12-months release subscription and a dedicated number of hours support.
When purchasing multiple identical license packages, we offer a volume discount. With the second license package the discount is set at 25%, with the 3rd and 4th at 50% and from the 5th package the discount is set at 75%.
The WANDA License packages are made available through the WANDA Wiki site. To get access to the download section you need a wiki-account. Account log in will be provided after purchasing a WANDA License Package. If your organization has already purchased WANDA the log in information has been sent to the main WANDA contact within your organization.
Deltares also offers temporary WANDA licenses, such as free trail and lease. Please check the support tab for further information.
Additional notes to the License Packages
- The user license(s) are indefinitely valid after a one-time purchase of the license package(s)
- Sub-licensing to third parties, including sub-contractors, is prohibited
- Upgrading your license will require payment equal to the difference in license package costs
- In case of purchase multiple packages: the highest license package sets the functionality (the licensed modules) and the lower adds to the number of licensed users and support hours
- The release subscription covers all minor and major releases
- Technical support covers all aspects to get the software running on your platformProject support covers modeling advice, and project review and assistance
- Support will be given on within ‘reasonable’ time span, though usually within 1 working day
- The General terms for software licensing and software services by Stichting Deltares v1.2, Dec 2014, available here, apply.
WANDA Basic License Package
The WANDA Basic License Package provides: 1-user license 1 WANDA module Maximum network size: 250 physical components Graphical User Interface Validated WANDA Solver 12 months release subscription 8 hours technical support
WANDA Enterprise License Package
The WANDA Enterprise License Package provides: 3-user license 3 WANDA modules Maximum network size: 1,500 physical and (if applicable) 750 control components Graphical User Interface Validated WANDA Solver 12 months release subscription 24 hours technical support 8 hours project support
WANDA Professional License Package
The WANDA Professional License Package provides: 2-user license 2 WANDA modules Maximum network size: 750 physical and (if applicable) 300 control components Graphical User Interface Validated WANDA Solver 12 months release subscription 16 hours technical support
The WANDA Lease construction meets the needs of project related work and provides the possibility to get full functionality for a limited period without being charged with the total License Package value.
Additional notes to WANDA Lease:
- Minimum license and renewal terms are set to 1 quarter (3 months)
- The lease term defines the duration of the software release subscription
- License Package (LP) support hours apply with lease terms of at least 2 quarters
- LP support hours are offered once within a (non-)consecutive lease period of 8 quarters
- LP support hours are valid through the first 12 month-period after initial lease date
- After an 8-quarter lease-term the relevant license is obtained
- The lease amount (per quarter) equals 1/6th of the license package costs
- Service Package (SP) services, if purchased, exclusively apply during the lease-term
- SP services, if purchased, are valid through the first 12 month-period after date of purchase
- The General terms for software licensing and software services by Stichting Deltares v1.2, Dec 2014, as attached to the proposal, apply
WANDA Free Trial
Upon request we provide a free trial for a limited period. With this trial version you get access to all features and modules. Use this trial version to check what modules your work requires or how you could extend the service portfolio that you offer. If you are interested, please contact email@example.com and ask for the WANDA Free Trial License.
Microsoft Windows 7 / 8 / 10 (all editions)
1Ghz (x86) Processor (both 32 bits and 64 bits processors are supported)
512 MB RAM or more
500 MB free disk space
Modeling & Analysis
The hydraulic design of pipeline systems during different operational phases is a complex task due to the dynamic behaviour, which is inherent to pipeline systems. A thorough understanding of the hydraulic behaviour of the system is therefore essential to obtain a proper design that guarantees safe operation and minimal costs for construction and maintenance.
WANDA provides powerful design tools to support the hydraulic design from the first schematic diagrams to the evaluation of the control loops during emergency events. Primary subjects to evaluate and optimize a hydraulic design are:
- flow capacity, flow velocity & flow distribution
- cavitation, water hammer and dynamic behavior
- pressure and safety analysis
- pump efficiency, system characteristics
- real time control and control induced pressure waves
WANDA’s intelligent components and user-friendly interface enable you to carry out any hydraulics analysis intuitively and efficient.
The engineering mode supports the engineer with the most common activities in hydraulic design of piping systems. WANDA engineering mode allows the steady state flow conditions (stationary flow) to be researched. The engineering mode allows for:
- Component selection for flow and pressure balancing
- Pipe diameter selection, using head loss calculations and hydraulic gradient analysis
- Reduction in energy usage of pumping stations
- Definition of preferred pump characteristics by a system’s analysis
The transient mode allows unsteady flow conditions to be investigated, e.g. during start-up, pump trip and control actions. The transient mode allows for:
- Varying pressure and discharge analysis
- Assessment of operational measures
- System’s bottleneck analysis to apply e.g. surge towers, air vessels and pressure relief valves
- Extended time simulations
WANDA computes all transient phenomena, including water hammer reflection, line packing, cavitation with variable vapour pressure, temperature-dependencies (WANDA Heat), quasi-steady heat transfer and complete thermodynamic gas behavior (WANDA Gas). The cavitation model used has been validated in a laboratory-based experimental facility (with a total length of 1400 m) and in the field.
WANDA user interface is simple and intuitive. Hydraulic components such as pumps and valves can be selected from a gallery and placed into a worksheet. The hydraulic properties of a component can be specified in a property input sheet. Calculations can be interrupted, assessed and resumed. Detailed information of the flow like pressure and discharge can be viewed at any location in the system at any moment in time. Some other features are:
- Intuitive look and feel based on iGrafx Flowcharter®
- Copy and paste of components, diagrams, graphs, tabular results and input parameters
- Text and background on different layers (diagram, text, background)
- Details or subsystems separated with the connector-tool
- Spread sheet view to compare input/output properties
- Comparison of complete cases with case-compare
- Animation function (movie) helps to analyse wave propagation and reflection
- All property names can be translated into the user’s language
- Various unit systems are supported, as well as a user defined unit system
With the Wanda Engine module, the numerical core of WANDA can be linked to other applications via the OpenMI (Open Modelling Interface) standard. OpenMI is a standard especially designed for coupling of numerical models by organizations leading in water management. Using external software such as MATLAB® or LabVIEW®, WANDA can be coupled to operator training software, real-time control or mechanical control systems. The possibilities are infinite.
The Wanda Data-AcQuisition (WanDAQ) module provides a communication link between a WANDA model and a PLC. This link allows a PLC to be tested in isolation from the rest of the control system. Using this principe, the PLC of a pumping station can be tested without the problems that come with the normal site acceptance tests. With WanDAQ, you’re not dependent on the weather or flow into the pumping station, safety concerns or time restraints. Also, the WanDAQ module allows the user to test all scenario’s, including the most extreme cases. This greatly reduces the costs and increases the scope of site acceptance tests.